Virginia Vehicle Registration
Before you get on the road with your motor vehicle, tractor truck, trailer, motorcycle, or semitrailer, you are required by law to properly title your vehicle and apply for Virginia vehicle registration at a Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles office. In order to do so, you will need to provide additional information to correctly complete your Virginia vehicle registration and titling if you are a new resident or if you lease your motor vehicle.
Your motor vehicle has to pass an annual safety inspection and show a valid safety inspection decal before it can be operated in the state Virginia. Violating Virginia inspection laws can result in a severe fine and a mark on your driving record. Because of this, you must get an inspection as a part of your VA vehicle registration.
First-Time Virginia Vehicle Registration
Before starting the Virginia vehicle registration process, you must have the following documents available:
• Have your vehicle titled in Virginia for your VA vehicle registration.
• Complete Form VSA 14 Application for Registration or Form VSA 123 Hire Vehicles Registration Application for your VA registration.
• An emissions inspection for your vehicle if you are in Arlington, Loudoun, Stratford, Fairfax, or Prince William County, or in the cities of Fairfax, Alexandria, Falls Church, Manassas Park, or Manassas. Motorcycles do not need to have an emissions inspection completed for a VA registration.
• Proof of liability insurance for your vehicle. Your policy must meet minimum requirements placed for the VA vehicle registration process or you must pay the uninsured vehicle fee. Your insurance carrier has to be authorized to provide insurance in the state of Virginia. Minimum coverage includes $25,000 for one person’s bodily injury/death, $50,000 for two people’s bodily injury/death, and $20,000 for property damage.
Virginia Vehicle Registration Fees
Your VA vehicle registration fees depend on the type of vehicle its weight. Common VA vehicle registration fees and additional fees include the following:
• Passenger vehicle up to 4,000 pounds: $40.75
• Passenger over 4,000 pounds: $45.75
• Motorcycle: $28.75
• Pickup Truck up to 4,000 pounds: $40.75
• Pickup Truck over 4,000 pounds gross weight: $45.75
• Pickup Truck between 6,501-7,500 pounds gross weight: $51.75
• Trip Permit: $5.00
• Replacement Virginia vehicle registration card: $2.00
• VA vehicle Registration transfer fee $2.00
You can pay your VA vehicle registration fees with cash, check, e-check, check card, credit card, or money order. The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles accepts MasterCard, Discover, Visa and American Express for all fees.
Virginia Vehicle Registration Renewal
After your first VA vehicle registration, the Department of Motor Vehicles will notify you about your upcoming VA registration renewal. You can get these notifications either by mail, email, text message, or phone by signing up for these e-notifications. Virginia provides you with the option to renew your VA registration by online, telephone, by mail, or at any Department of Motor Vehicles select center. If you choose to renew your VA vehicle registration in person, there is an additional $5 fee.