When you buy or receive a motor vehicle as a gift, you must apply for a title and Wisconsin vehicle registration immediately. The seller of the vehicle must satisfy the assignment of title, including providing an odometer disclosure (unless exempt) as well as signature and also the original document showing a lien release for any liens listed on the vehicle title.
Wisconsin Vehicle Registration for New Wisconsin Residents
When becoming a Wisconsin resident, you must obtain your Wisconsin registration ad license plates. You are considered a resident of the state if you are registered to vote in the state, you pay you income taxes in Wisconsin, or if your main residence is in the state. In order to complete your Wisconsin Vehicle application, you will need the following documents and forms:
• Out of state title or vehicle registration card from the previous state of residence.
• Completed Form MV1 Title/License Plate Application.
• Current proof of identity if you are applying in person at a Department of Motor Vehicles customer service center or to a Department of Motor Vehicles agent.
• Title fee.
• Proof of payment of sales tax to your former state if you were the owner of your vehicle for less than 90 days. Any tax paid to another state can be applied to the local or state use tax due.
• WI registration fees, based on the vehicle type.
• County or municipal Wheel tax, if applicable.
• Money order of check payable to Registration Fee Trust
You can submit these either by mail, at a Department of Motor Vehicles service center($5 counter service fee), at a Department of Motor Vehicles agent location (maximum service fee of $10 for a renewal transaction and $19.50 for a title transaction), or at a Department of Motor Vehicles temporary license plate agent ($3 temporary plate fee and up to $5 service).
Wisconsin Vehicle Registration Renewal
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation mails WI vehicle registration renewal notices at least thirty days before the expiration date. If you lose your WI registration renewal notice, or if you did not receive it, you can download form MV2016, a Substitute Renewal Notice. You can renew your WI vehicle registration either by mail, in person, or online.
Wisconsin Vehicle Registration Fees
There are many different fees that you may encounter based on your vehicle and situation. Some of the more common ones include the following:
• Automobile WI vehicle registration: $75 annually
• School bus WI registration: $5
• Bus WI registration: Varies by weight
• Motorcycle WI vehicle registration: $23 biennial
• Moped WI vehicle registration: $23 biennial
• Light truck WI registration: $75 annually
• Heavy Truck WI registration: Varies by weight
• Temporary WI vehicle registration: varies
• Original or transfer of title: $69.50, $62.00 for transfer to a surviving spouse or for a low speed vehicle
• Title replacement: $20.00
• Duplicate certificate of WI vehicle registration: $2.00
• Late WI registration renewal fee: $10.00
• WI Registration file searches: $5 for each search
• Online WI registration renewal: $1.75