In the state of Nebraska, all motor vehicles and trailers that are used upon the roads and highways of Nebraska must have a NE registration unless the motor vehicle falls under a specific category of motor vehicles that are exempt from NE vehicle registration.
To start the Nebraska vehicle registration process for normal vehicles, you will have to do go through the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles. If you are planning to apply for a NE registration for a motorboat, this has to be done through the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.
Any vehicles must have NE vehicle registration if the vehicle is in Nebraska the majority of the time. Any newly purchased motor vehicles must be also have NE registration, and have the appropriate sales tax paid full within thirty (30) days of the purchase date.
Nebraska Vehicle Registration Schedule
The NE registration schedule for motor vehicles is staggered on a monthly basis. The NE vehicle registration expiration date can be determined based on the month that the motor vehicle was purchased. However, if an owner has two or more motor vehicles, he or she may register the vehicles either on a calendar-year basis (from January to December), or using an annual basis for the same NE registration period starting in the month picked by the owner.
First Time Nebraska Vehicle Registration
Motor vehicles that may have to undergo the NE vehicle registration for the very first time can do so either by completing the NE registration by mail or in person. For first time NE registration, the following forms documents must be shown to the County Treasurer:
• Proof of excise or sales tax being been paid.
• A copy of the lease agreement (signed), if the motor vehicle is a leased vehicle.
• Proof of Insurance or Financial Responsibility. This proof must be an original document. The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles does not accept photocopies for proof.
Nebraska vehicle registrations can be renewed either through the Nebraska online service at Online Registration Renewal, in person, or by mail. When renewing your NE vehicle registration, you will need to present the following forms and documents to your local County Treasurer if you are renewing your NE registration in person or by mail:
• Proof of Insurance or Financial Responsibility. This proof must be an original document. The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles does not accept photocopies for proof. For those using the Online Registration Renewal service, insurance is verified by the Department of Motor Vehicles by using the Insurance database.
• The NE Registration document that is expiring.
After all the necessary documentation has been verified and the necessary fees paid for your NE vehicle registration, the Department of Motor Vehicles will issue license plates, validation tabs, and a NE registration certificate. If you plan to register or renew your NE registration online or through the mail, these will be sent to you through the mail.
Nebraska Vehicle Registration Fees
There are many different fees charged for a NE vehicle registration. These include the following:
• Motor Vehicle Tax: Fee during the initial NE registration and subsequent renewals until the vehicle is at least 14 years old. The fee is based on the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of the motor vehicle.
• Motor Vehicle Fee: a Fee based on the weight, value, age, and use of the vehicle.
• NE Registration fees: $15 fee for passenger cars and leased vehicles. This fee varies for commercial trucks depending on gross weight of the motor vehicle.
Additional fees are collected for different state funds and a license plate fee. Certain counties also collect additional fees.