All vehicles are required to undergo Maryland vehicle registration in order to be driven out in the streets of Maryland. If you are registering your motor vehicle for the very first time, it most likely means you have:
• Just purchased a vehicle from either a dealer or private seller
• Changed the motor vehicle’s ownership
• Just changed your residency to Maryland
If you have just bought a motor vehicle or you need to transfer ownership of it, you are not subject to any sort of deadline for MD registration. However, the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration recommends that you complete the MD registration for the motor vehicle as soon as possible so you can legally operate the vehicle within the state.
If you have just moved to the state of Maryland, you have sixty (60) days to properly complete the MD vehicle registration for your motor vehicle. If you exceed the 60-day deadline, you will become subject to a citation and then become ineligible for tax credits for any taxes related to your vehicle title you paid in your previous state of residence.
Insurance before your Maryland Vehicle Registration
Before you can undergo the MD vehicle registration, you must be able to show proof of insurance for your vehicle. It is important note that the auto insurance requirements of Maryland surpass those of some other states, so make sure your insurance policy is adequate before your MD registration.
Paperwork for your Maryland Vehicle Registration
If you bought your vehicle from a dealership in Maryland, the dealer will take care of the MD registration paperwork for you. However, due to the state’s closeness to dealerships in other neighboring states such as Virginia, Delaware, and Washington, you may end up purchasing your vehicle outside of Maryland. If this is the case, you will be required to handle the MD registration paperwork.
If you are planning to title and complete MD registration on the vehicle together, make sure to get the necessary paperwork to do both. If you are only completing the Maryland vehicle registration, you will only need certain forms. The motor vehicle’s title will act as the Application if it is a Maryland title and you are applying for the title and MD registration at the same time. If not, you will need the following:
• An Application for a Certificate of Title if the current vehicle title is from a different state.
• An Application for New Plates/Stickers and Transfer of Plates if you have already titled the motor vehicle and now wish to register it.
• Get proof of insurance. Not only will you have to show proof of insurance, but you may also have to record the information found on the application.
• Provide your Safety Inspection Certificate. You can get this from either an emission inspection, which checks your emissions and smog output, or you can get a safety inspection, which is needed to complete the MD registration for pre-owned vehicles.
Fees for Maryland Vehicle Registration
Your registration fees depend on the motor vehicle and type of license plates you need. First-time MD registration fees may cost more, especially if you plan to title and complete your MD vehicle registration on the same day.