The West Virginia Department of Transportation offers many different styles of personalized and specialized West Virginia license plates. Some of these West Virginia license plates include:
• Regular personalized
• Scenic personalized
• Government officials (House of Delegates legislative, Senate legislative, Silver Haired Legislature, Governor’s numbers)
• Military and veteran (Prisoner of war, Disabled Veterans, Purple Heart, Pearl Harbor Survivor, Combat veteran, National Guard, Army National Guard, Marine Corps League)
• Organizations (such as American Legion, Elks, and Rotary)
• Occupations (Firefighters, Police Offer, Emergency medical services, School bus drivers, Postmasters)
• College and university alumni (WVU, Marshall)
Ordering West Virginia License Plates
To order personalized West Virginia license plates, you will need to follow specific ordering instructions depending on the license plate you choose. For general applications, you must fill out and submit the Application for Personalized License Plates. The Department of Transportation provides the correct forms for specific plates on the website. You can then send the form with applicable fees to the Department of Transportation at:
Division of Motor Vehicles
Building 3, Capitol Complex
Charleston, WV 25317
Personalized West Virginia License Plates
To order a personalized West Virginia license plate, you must satisfy certain requirements.
• Only Class A vehicles, which include automobiles and pickup trucks weighing less than 8,000 pounds, and motorcycles can be issued personalized plates.
• Personalized license plate cannot be not obscene or offensive and cannot be already in use.
You can reserve a personalized license plate each year as long as you pay the necessary fees. The renewal fee usually includes the $15 fee for the scenic or standard graphic as well as the $15 reservation fee.